This how-to is a command-line instruction (CLI) tutorial, a step-by-step guide to install a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) server on a Debian based server using apt-get and tasksel. I’m using Ubuntu server 13.04 server in this example, however you could substitute any of the Debian based distribution as by your own requirements.
There is an operational requirement for a LAMP server.
1. You have a Ubuntu system running,
2. you know how to login to your system,
3. you know how to get to a terminal, (I have no X there is only CLI)
4. you have apt-get and tasksel installed on your system
5. and, MOST IMPORTANTLY the system has Internet access.
1. First you need to install tasksel, a package that allow a user to install multiple packages, META-PACKAGES, if it is not installed on your system.
sudo apt-get install tasksel
2. Next install the lamp-server packages
sudo tasksel install lamp-server
3. Follow the instructions i.e. enter a MySql password
4. Test your install
Open a browser on another machine and enter the ip address in the browser address bar and you should see:
This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.
If everything went as planned it takes all of two minutes to go through this process.